Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fun Friday!

It's Friday!  Super pumped that I made it to yet another weekend!!  This has been one long and tiring week for me.  Cheer tryouts are officially over and I have both my fall and winter JV squads - so congratulations to all the girls and a special shout out to my little sister, Teasy, and my soul sister, Shan, for helping with the judging!  They both made the tryout go a lot faster - which was perfect for the early day I had.  

It all started at 6:00AM...another early morning.  I did not want to get out of bed when my alarm went off - but I had to get a move on to meet Ash at Springboard Pilates.  I was so tempted to ignore her text to make her think I was sleeping :)  I live about 20 minutes from the studio, and decided to leave 40 minutes early since I have to drive through downtown traffic - of course there was no traffic and I was early (could've had 15 extra minutes of sleep haha)!  

The class was amazing.  There were four springboards attached to the wall set up with a mat lying in front of each one (each board has leg springs with cotton loops and arm or roll down springs with a roll down bar and interchangeable handles), springs with a bar, a foam roller, and a small therapy massage ball.  Obviously I was a little intimidated seeing this "contraption" and a little excited!  We started with the small therapy massage ball and rolled it under our feet, calves, gluteus, and upper back/shoulder area - felt wonderful, especially for the knot in my shoulder!  The foam roller was a killer though!  We rolled the roller under our shoulders, neck, armpit and rib area, our legs, and our outer leg/hip area.  The hip area was intense - the pain was unbelievable - but showed us how we are tight in some muscle groups.  I was going to just try and work through the pain - I thought I was the only one hurting - so I was very happy when Ash asked if it was supposed to hurt this bad haha.  Our instructor told us that when she went through training she cried at that part because of how bad it hurt.  It actually made the both of us want to buy a foam roller to use on a daily basis and loosen those muscles up!  

The class was great - lots of isolated arm movements and leg movements with a lot of resistance.  I had a nice workout in my lower abs especially - which is one spot I always try to find different ways to target.  There are different movements to target back, shoulders, arms, legs, abs, obliques, glutes - basically a total body workout in 50 minutes.  I would definitely recommend Springboard Pilates if you are looking for a challenge.  And what I love about the actual Pilates springboard it is perfect for a small apartment or room - it only needs five of wall space going up and less than two feet of wall space going across AND it is one of the only Pilates machines prices under $500.  I would love to get one when I get my own place!  I'm sure you can guess this class has my stamp of approval!

I went into work late because of the class and had to leave early to judge cheer tryouts - a nice way to spend a Friday.  My boss wanted Wasabi for lunch - an amazing Hibachi and sushi restaurant - we had edamame, tuna sashimi, the lobster roll, the Wasabi roll to split, and my mom and I split the California roll and had two side salads with the ginger dressing.  Everything was amazing and I shared some of my edamame, lobster roll, and Wasabi roll with my mother - of course :)  I love sushi so much!

 Wasabi roll - so pretty and colorful - and delicious!

 Side salad with the best ginger dressing - I love how the carrots are in little spirals

Delicious edamame :) My favorite appetizer!

I was able to have a quick snack of Whole Foods 365 brand Greek Yogurt with some local organic honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon before tryouts.  I (finally) had a Quest Bar during tryouts as my dinner - we were at tryouts from 4:00-8:30PM - I am very happy I had the bar.  I tried the Chocolate Brownie bar today and it was the most delicious protein bar I've ever tasted in my entire life (and I love protein bars)!  This bar tasted just like a chewy brownie and I would eat it again.  The Quest Bars have few ingredients and are low in carbs, low in sugar, and high in protein - which I love!  Quest Bar also has an all-natural line - which is even better.  The Chocolate Brownie bar has 20g of protein, 6g of fat, 170 calories, 24g of carbs, 19g of fiber, and only 1g of sugar, and tastes fantastic - talk about a dream bar!  If you are protein bar person or want to be but don't like the taste of most - this is a bar for you to try!

 Chocolatey goodness in the form of a healthy brownie! Get it!

Check out those stats - I wasn't lying!!!

After tryouts I came home to make a quick snack off all-natural crackers with my Vitamix peanut butter and sliced bananas - I love the sweet and salty combo!  And to finish watching the Penguins second game of the second round of the playoffs.  I am happy to report the Penguins are now 2-0 and will hopefully keep the win streak alive on Sunday!  What an awesome game and congrats to Sid on his hat trick!  Perfect end to my night.  Now I really need to get some sleep because I think I am taking Ladies Booty Camp at 9:00AM and definitely PiYo at 10:00AM.  I hope I like both classes - I may sit out of Ladies Booty Camp because I found out it's perfect for weight loss and I was hoping the name meant shaping and toning of the booty (I am not the biggest fan of cardio).  I will check it out and report back later Saturday.  

Have a good night and GO PENS!!


Have you ever tried Pilates Springboard?  Opinions?

What kind of sushi do you like?

What is your favorite Quest Bar or protein bar that I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment