Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Memorial Monday

Hi all!  Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day - I know I sure did!  I started the day off with an amazing Booty Barre trial class at The Movement Factory with Ash.  The class was fantastic!  I definitely like Booty Barre better than the Pure Barre I took in Tampa.  Booty Barre started with everyone spread out away from the barre for stretching, warm-ups, and arms.  On the barre we did lunges, curtsy squats, and abs.  I enjoyed the pace of the class and the visual instructions.  I highly recommend trying Booty Barre or any Barre class near you. I will hopefully be signing up for a package that includes this class sometime soon!

After Booty Barre, I came home to a giant picnic feast!  My mom went all-out without having to go shopping!  We had 100% lean burgers from the meat department - burgers stuffed with bleu cheese, jalapeños, and regular burgers, hot dogs, baked beans, grilled cherry tomatoes - drizzled with olive oil, stuffed with fresh garlic, and topped with fresh basil, guacamole, salsa, all-natural baked tortilla chips, grilled corn on the cob, and whole-wheat Mediterranean pasta salad.
MMM! Thanks Mama Peasy!!!

 My plate - small portions of Mediterranean pasta salad, bleu cheese burger topped with guac (of course) and hot salsa, baked beans, and my sister's grilled tomatoes.
The inside of my bleu cheese burger - I am glad they go very light with the bleu cheese :) just needed a small taste!

And this is the feature of this post today :) My mom was super excited about her Mediterranean pasta salad - she actually made this up with ingredients we already had.  We always have a lot of fresh veggies available and there is always some sort of whole-wheat pasta downstairs.  Anyway, my mom cooked some whole-wheat pasta and added: olive oil, a tiny can of sliced olives, reduced-fat feta cheese, red peppers, squash, cucumber, and green onions.  It was so delicious and she made such a big batch that she kept making sure we knew it was there - she didn't think anyone had tried it - we were able to convince her that we did and it was very scrumptious :) Thanks, Mom!

And the best way to keep my Memorial Day healthy was making a batch of my all-natural peanut butter.  I cracked open the peanut shells Sunday night while watching some hockey - 3 cups worth of peanuts - yikes!  It took me about an hour to an hour and a half to get that many peanuts!  I put the peanuts in the amazing Vitamix and in about less than a minute I had smooth and creamy peanut butter!!  I love the Vitamix - best purchase ever!  I now have a huge glass bowl full of my favorite peanut butter :) my oatmeal is very happy now!
Best peanut butter ever!!

I hope everyone else had a fantastic Memorial Day - I am excited for many more cookouts to come and hopefully some will be spent with a bigger crowd :) and in better weather - thanks Cleveland.. haha

Have a good night!!


What did you have at your Memorial Day cookout?

How do you try to eat healthy at cookouts or on special occasions?


**please follow my blog using the guide on the left - the easiest way to comment is to follow - it is much easier for me to see comments here instead of finding them in my email or through Facebook.  Thanks!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment