Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What's In My Bowl Wednesday?!

Officially my first post for WIMBW?!  Exciting!  I do have something embarrassing to admit though - My first recipe for WIMBW did not come from 75 Ways Oatmeal - My great idea of "Whats in My Bowl Wednesday" was thought of when I was finishing my post last night on My Healthy Peanut Butter Cup, that I did not realize most of the oatmeal recipes are done overnight or take longer than my microwaved oatmeal.  

SO....I found an oatmeal - on my Healthy Breakfast Pinterest board - that did not require a saucepan, oven, or crockpot!  I chose Peanut Butter Cookie Oatmeal by Foodess.  Now...I tweak almost every recipe I come across to fit my dietary habits - not saying the Foodess version is not healthy, just not as healthy as I prefer.  Anyway, so if you check her recipe out after seeing mine you will notice some differences, and like I've mentioned before..make your own tweaks to anything you want because you know what you like.  And because I made tweaks I have included my ingredient list, steps, and photos :)

WIMBW #1 - Jessica's Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie

Ingredients

1/2 cup oatmeal
Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or preferred milk)
1 small to medium banana
1 tbsp organic protein powder (or preferred protein powder)
1/2 tbsp all-natural peanut butter (or preferred peanut butter)
sprinkle of cinnamon
drizzle of honey (or preferred sweetener)

Step 1: Pour 1/2 cup of oatmeal into bowl
Step 2: Pour milk into bowl (I eyeball it about a fourth of the way up)

Step 3: Microwave the oatmeal in intervals - begin with 1 minute and the 15 to 30 second intervals until the milk does not run up the side of the bowl when tilted

Step 4: Drizzle some honey and sprinkle some cinnamon - I only do a small amount of each
Step 5: Add the 1 tbsp of protein powder and the 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter into oatmeal and mix

Step 6: Cut banana into slices and place on the top of the oatmeal

I enjoyed mine with an ice-cold glass of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk!

So my thoughts...well, I did like My Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie...it had a nice, light taste to it.  The bananas added a lot to the flavor.  I am very happy that I chose to use cinnamon and honey.  I think I would add a little bit more peanut butter next time - maybe 3/4 tbsp or 1 tbsp, but I do like to stick to my 1/2 tbsp.  Would I make this again?  Maybe.  Would I make this over My Healthy Peanut Butter Cup?  Probably not.  But, then again, did I really think that My Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie could stand against something healthy with chocolate AND peanut butter?!  I may be crazy for trying, but I can never say never, right?  I am glad I tried this because if there is ever a day that -heaven forbid - I run out of chocolate, I can always turn to My Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie.  So that's always good :)

Then, for the rest of What I Ate Wednesday - WIAW - For lunch I had a salad - grilled romaine and artichoke hearts (sans dressing and croutons) with grilled shrimp.  I wish I took a picture because it was so beautiful!  I obviously had half a Cacao Nib Truffle for dessert :)  And because I had to run to my alma mater to judge jumps and tumbling - I made a grilled cheese sandwich with Ezekiel bread, a veggie cheese slice and a skim string cheese, and turkey bacon from EarthFare for dinner.  I love my version of the grilled cheese - I just want to spice it up next time!

Now that I am home and put my cat to sleep - actually he was bored to sleep because I'm typing haha - I have to get my workout on!  My workout is compliments of a coworker and friends' magazine: Self's Beach Body Made Easy - Thanks EW!  I will be completing Firm Your Butt on page 61 and Tone Your Gut on page 63 - if you happen to check the magazine on either on eBay with the given link or maybe a store or library.  I'm hoping for another workout like the one I had last night :) A fantastic one!  I will also be getting up early for a morning walk with my mom - P. Diddy - since it is supposed to be amazing outside!

Have a good night!

What did you eat on WIAW?

Ever try Ezekiel bread, veggie cheese, or turkey bacon?

Any healthy grilled cheese topping ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I had a good piece of salmon for lunch, but my dinner was a stale pizza cracker lol.
    Something good to try on a grilled cheese is a slice of tomato. It's like having the tomato soup on your grilled cheese. You'll have to slice up the tomato and keep the rest of it for another day, or another good idea might be to use small cherry tomatos so you don't have to save the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! I love tomato soup with my grilled cheese, so I will have to give it a try!

      Delete