Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why I Switched to Organic and Natural Foods

As a lot of you know, I often write about my shopping trips to Whole Foods and EarthFare.  And I am always sharing the different natural and organic foods I buy and love.  I have only been eating this way for about 2-3 months.  I want to share why I chose to switch to natural and organic foods.  I also want to share how I was able do this and how easy it is to do.

First, I have been really challenging myself with different workouts, including antigravity yoga, barre, and springboard Pilates.  I am working areas that I have never worked before and I am becoming more lean and toned than I have ever been.  I am happy with the fitness challenges I have been taking and am looking forward to more challenges as the year goes on.

So, here I am happy with where I am at in the fitness world - but I begin wondering if I really am as healthy as I can be.  Health starts from within - and I have always eaten healthy: low-fat, low-cal, low-sodium, low-sugar, etc.  I don't eat fast food, potato chips, pizza, sweets - yet I still feel like I am putting things into my body that shouldn't get anywhere near it.

I decided I was going to start reading the ingredients a little more closely and I see words like artificial flavors, artificial coloring, enriched wheat, hydrogenated or fractionated oils, monosodium glutamate (MSG), high fructose corn syrup, sugar, potassium benzoate and sodium benzoate, sucralose, aspartame, BHA and BHT, soy lecithin, potassium sorbate, polysorbate 80, and canola oil - to name a few.   I am wondering what do these ingredients - most of which I cannot pronounce - do for my body?  And the answer: Nothing, but harming it!  I decided from now on I am only eating natural and organic foods and am trying to make these foods local whenever possible.  I am going to be selfish with my body and will only eat foods that can benefit my body.

I first started looking at our usual local grocery stores for natural and organic foods.  I realized that the selection is very limited - and I really like choices ;)  I decided to give Whole Foods a try.  I loved Whole Foods the very second I walked it!  There are shelves upon shelves full of natural and organic items!  I was presented with so many options - I was like a kid in a gigantic candy store!  Whole Foods is one of my favorite places to visit.  Whole Foods features foods free of artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, sweeteners, and hydrogenated fats - something I greatly appreciate.  I know when I go to Whole Foods I can trust that I am getting the best quality ingredients and foods for my body - I do always read the ingredients list though...it's a habit ;)  I am always finding new items to try and I love walking away with a new, yummy foods!

Whole Foods really made my switching over to natural and organic foods very easy. Whole Foods can be expensive - I always go to the website to print out coupons for items I am planning on buying or may be interested in trying.  I also compare prices to similar items.

And those of you who like to eat out and think they cannot eat out anymore - I definitely eat out!  I ask the waiters how foods are prepared and what ingredients are included in dishes.  If I am feeling that there isn't anything I can eat, I go for a salad with fresh fruit or veggies.  I also like to order clear-broth soup - wedding soup is one of my favorites!  I often check out menus online to see if the ingredients are listed when I know what restaurant I will be eating at in advance.

I am really happy with my decision to switch to natural and organic foods.  I have definitely noticed myself having more energy and even better results from my workouts.  Keeping processed foods with all those chemicals out of my body has been really beneficial.  I am enjoying what I eat and can't believe how many delicious choices I have to choose from.  If you are thinking about switching to natural and organic foods, I definitely encourage you to give it a try.  And if you do decide to try this out - give it at least a week :)

I hope you all have a great night!  I need to rest up for a possible cheer practice - if the storms hold off!


Have you ever tried switching to natural and organic foods?  What do you think?

Is there anything holding you back from natural and organic foods?

What are some of your favorite natural and organic foods?


No comments:

Post a Comment