Wednesday, June 19, 2013

WIMBW + WIAW + WW = best day!

It's that time again - my favorite day of the week!!  Wednesday!!!!  There is just so much to look forward to every Wednesday - we have What's In My Bowl Wednesday, What I Ate Wednesday, and Walnut Wednesday!  I am so excited to share all my W's today :)

I had a very early start to my morning - it was the first day of cheer practice for the upcoming football season!  I was super-pumped, except for the fact I had to wake up at 5:45AM for our 7:00AM practice - I know, but I rather tackle practice in the morning than have to go after work.  So I had to be a little flexible for my WIMBW creation.  I chose something that I would be able to pop into the microwave - and I made sure I had all the ingredients the night before - even for the substitutions I would make to fit my eating habits.

I chose the Banana Cream Pie Oatmeal on page 164 of Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal and other treats, tips & tricks.  The name definitely caught my attention because I used to love eating the no-sugar added banana cream pie when my mom used to work by Baker's Square - seems soooo long ago!  I made my modifications to the recipe: microwave instead of cooking over the stove and my ingredient swaps.

Jessica's Banana Cream Pie Oatmeal

Ingredients:

1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut 
1/2 cup oats
1/2 to 1 cup Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Breeze or milk of choice
1 banana, thinly sliced
1 tbsp RAW Protein Powder or protein powder of choice
drizzle of honey
1/3 cup Whole Foods 365 plain Greek yogurt or plain/vanilla yogurt of choice

*You will also need a microwave-safe bowl

1. Put 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp flax seeds, and1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut into a microwave-safe bowl

2.  Add 1/2 to 1 cup of Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Breeze - I usually eyeball it 

3. Add 1/2 cup of oats

4. Add banana slices

5. Mix

6. Add 1 tbsp protein powder and a drizzle of honey, then mix

7. Microwave for one minute and switch to 20-30 second intervals until desired consistency - I like my oatmeal to be thick 

8.  Top with 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt

My Banana Cream Pie Oatmeal was delicious!  I loved everything about it - I would probably garnish it with some almond slivers next time, for a little something extra ;)  I really enjoyed this oatmeal though and was glad I didn't give in to the idea of adding some peanut butter - even though I love my all-natural peanut butter, I knew it would ruin the banana cream pie taste.  But I would recommend giving the banana cream pie oatmeal a taste - whether you follow my recipe, Jenny Grothe's recipe, or customize it to your likes.  If you're a fan of bananas, this is fabulous! 


The rest of WIAW consisted of one of my homemade pumpkin protein bars and a RAW chocolate protein shake - after practice I was pretty hungry so when I got to work around 9AM I just had to have both - I guess that is what happens when I participate in the ab workout I gave the girls ;)  I also had some organic black seedless grapes before heading off to Walnut Wednesday.  I just love Wednesdays - all of the food trucks, live music, and people :)  It is such a great atmosphere and the weather has been great both times we have gone!  We chose Wholly Frijoles for some Mexican cuisine.  Wholly Frijoles has such a great deal: 1 Taco for $4, 2 for $7, 3 for $9.  I decided to get the 3 for $9 option, because it is the easiest way to try as many things as I can and share with my mom.  I ordered three different tacos: Pastor, Calabacita, and Tequila Lime Chicken.

 All equally delicious and the tacos were small enough that having a 1/2 of each was the perfect serving size :)  Thanks for sharing mom!

Dinner consisted of the Apple Pie Quest Bar - tastes just like an apple pie, without risking burning my mouth and I love it :)  And my evening snack: four all-natural crackers with all-natural peanut butter and organic blueberries.  MMMMM!  Kind of like a healthy PB&J - I guess blueberry jelly? 


I hope everyone enjoyed their Wednesday as much as I did!  I am already looking forward to next Wednesday :)  But I need to finish stretching after my Zumba workout - I am typing this in a straddle split!  

Good night!


How was your Wednesday?

What did you eat today?

Do you have local food trucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment