Tuesday, July 2, 2013

El Arepazo Y Pupuseria = Weekend Indulgence :)

So, this past weekend I mentioned that I made a few indulgences.  One of these indulgences took place at El Arepazo Y Pupuseria - a Columbian and Salvadorian restaurant. My sister, Ashley, is friends with the owner and practices her Spanish with her.  (My sister is a Spanish teacher and worked at a Mexican restaurant to keep her Spanish skills up - that is where she met the co-owner)  Anyway, my sister wanted to go this past weekend because the soup special of the day was Sancocho or sopa de res - beef soup.  My sister wanted to try this soup from real a Salvadorian - we love authentic ethnic cuisine.  

Sancocho
Yuca, beef, zucchini, carrots, potatoes and cilantro

I was very scared when this was put in front of us!  I did not realize we would be served soup with a bone island!  My sister picked the bone out and cut up the meat, so we didn't have to eat around it.  The soup was delicious - very flavorful and very healthy :)  All fresh ingredients!

We ordered a few more items off the menu and everything is so reasonably priced!  Everything we ordered was under $3.99 - besides the soup of the day.  I just love good deals, especially on good food ;)  I obviously had to order a pupusa - one of the specialties and my sister ordered everything else for us to share.

Pupusa de Queso con Loroco
 Cheese and Loroco sandwiched between two corn tortillas and grilled - yummy!!!

Loroco is a plant that grows in El Salvador.  The buds and flowers are used in cooking.  Loroco is a natural aphrodisiac.  It contains Vitamin A, B and C, Calcium, and Iron.  Loroco is a good source of fiber and is low in calories.

Corn Tortilla
Handmade by Ashley's friend! 

Empanadas de Carne con Pico
Baked dough stuffed with pork, served with a side of pico de gallo

Tostadas de Ceviche con Pico
Crispy corn tortilla topped with shrimp and fish salad 

Conserva de Platano
mashed bananas mixed with rum and sugar, then flash fried in oil (this was free - it's good to have friends in the restaurant business)!  I only had a taste, but this was delicious!

I really delighted in the food at El Arepazo Y Pupuseria and obviously recommend that everyone get there!  You can never beat great food AND great prices - two of my favorite things!  If you are a little iffy about trying Authentic Columbian y Salvadorian food, my motto is "Try everything once."  This motto has expanded my palate so much and I love it!!  I even plan my vacations around food ;)

Well I've had a busy day - work, springboards, Earth Fare, baking - sharing that tomorrow!  I have cheer early and my WIMBW surprise is soaking in the fridge - basically overnight oats.  But, I need to get to sleep.


Have a wonderful evening!


Have you ever tried Columbian or Salvadoran food?

Are you timid when it comes to trying new foods or do you have a very cultured palate?


No comments:

Post a Comment