Monday, July 29, 2013

Homemade Quest Protein Bars

As most of you know, I am in love with Quest Protein Bars.  I cannot get enough of these amazingly delicious protein bars.  I end up spending a good amount of money on them because I am usually on the run.  So, you can assume that when I opened my email from Sweet Cheetah and read DIY Quest Bars, I was super-pumped!  You can check out her blog here for her DIY Quest Bar recipe.  I tried the recipe Sunday evening and made a few modifications to fit what I want and need out of my Quest Bar.

Jessica's Homemade Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Quest Bars

Ingredients

4 scoops Garden of Life RAW Protein Powder in chocolate
1/4 cup ground flax seed (or oat flour or fiber powder)
1/4 cup Once Again Organic Sugar and Salt Free Sunflower Butter (or nut butter of your choice)
1/2 cup local organic honey (or agave nectar or stevia)
medium-sized handful of cacao nibs
A few tbsp of water - depending on sweetener of choice

Step 1: Add 4 scoops of protein powder in a large mixing bowl

Step 2: Add 1/4 cup ground flax seed to bowl

Step 3: Add 1/4 cup sunflower butter to bowl

Step 4: Add 1/2 cup honey to bowl and 1 tbsp of water

Step 5: Add a medium-sized handful of cacao nibs and mix with a spoon - add more water as needed - I had to finish with my hands but too messy to take a picture!

Step 6: Flatten in a rectangular shape on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and place in fridge for 30 minutes.  Remove from fridge and cut 5 bar-sized pieces.

The bars are shaped kind of awkward - I think I flattened them a bit much.  I cut off the top of one bar for a taste test and I loved it!  The texture was very similar to the real Quest Protein Bar and the taste was wonderful.  My sister even liked the bars and she isn't a protein bar fan.  To store the bars, I folded the parchment paper to cover the bars and slid them into a freezer bag and they are sitting in the freezer now.  I am so happy that I will be saving money - I will still buy Quest Bars that I can keep in my desk and car for emergencies.  

Variations: 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: use vanilla protein powder and sunflower butter
Cinnamon Roll: use vanilla protein powder and add 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
Chocolate Brownie: use chocolate protein powder and add 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
Vanilla Almond Crunch: use vanilla protein powder, almond butter, and add 2 tbsp of almond pieces
Peanut Butter Supreme: use vanilla protein powder and peanut butter
Chocolate Peanut Butter: use chocolate protein powder and peanut butter
Coconut Cashew: use vanilla protein powder, cashew butter and unsweetened coconut 
Lemon Cream Pie: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and 1 tbsp lemon juice
PB & J: use vanilla protein powder, peanut butter and add 1/4 cup dehydrated strawberries (thinly sliced strawberries placed on a cookie sheet and left in the oven overnight on the lowest setting)
Mixed Berry Bliss: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated blueberries and strawberries
Strawberry Cheesecake: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated strawberries
White Chocolate Raspberry: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated raspberries

I am pumped to try all of these variations in the upcoming weeks.  If they turn out just as good, I will gladly share :)  And if any of you try any of these Homemade Quest Bar recipes, please let me know what you tried and how you liked it!

Have a great night :)  It's time for some Zumba!








18 comments:

  1. I made the raspberry white chocolate taste is great however I don't know if I added to much water because they were not hard even after putting them in the fridge any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they tasted great! I am sorry that they weren't hard :( Like you suggested, there was probably too much water added (it's hard to suggest an exact amount because of the many choices of sweeteners and even different honeys can have different consistencies). My suggestion would be to add less water. The consistency, once all the ingredients are combined, should not be thin or runny. The mixture should be thick, but pliable. So, start small and add more water as you go. Then put the bars in the fridge or freezer after you shape them. I am hoping this will solve the issue and please let me know how they turn out if you try again! Thank you for your feedback and for checking my blog out! :)

      Delete
    2. I did a second batch. Way better with texture. However they still are not stiff like quest bars but taste amazing. I would have to eat them right away not let them sit out is this the same for you??

      Delete
    3. What kind of sweetener are you using? I keep them in the freezer so I don't have to eat them right away :)

      Delete
    4. i'm using a organic sugar and agave!

      Delete
    5. MMM! The organic sugar and agave may not have as thick a consistency as honey - this may be another reason why they are not as stiff as the Quest Bar.

      Delete
    6. These are soooo beyond delish! I made the cinnamon roll ones, with vanilla protein powder, almond butter and added raisins and it tastes SO good! I'm so happy I found your blog with this recipe :) Thank you!! I have a question though, would it be possible to replace honey with truvia instead and add more water? Or do I have to use something with a honey-like consistency?

      Delete
    7. I am so happy you love them!! I will have to try the addition of raisins in the cinnamon roll ones - mmm! I am sure you can replace the honey with truvia and add more water, but I think the honey-like consistency is what adds to the texture and firmness. I will do some research into replacements for honey, but keeping the consistency :)

      Delete
  2. I wonder if using a powdered sweetener such as stevia, some water and some meringue powder would add that thickness? The powdered egg white would also add some additional protein. Just a suggestion. I haven't tried these yet but am super-pumped to see that someone has come up with a recipe. Woo-hoo! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a wonderful idea! I will have to give that a try :) Hopefully it works out well. And if you try, please let me know how they turn out!!

      Delete
  3. These are great! I just find them a bit too sweet with the honey. Is it possible to replace honey with something else but keeping firmness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly try date paste or coconut nectar. I am not sure if that would change the sweetness? I will see if there are other substitutions to try :)

      Delete
  4. WOW... Think I will print this page out and stick it on my kitchen wall.. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I should probably do the same :) Please let me know what you think if and when you try one of the recipes :)

      Delete
  5. Hello. thank you for the post! I love quest bars but I am just wondering about the nutrition. 1/2 cup of honey seems like an awful lot of sugar per bar. Do you know how many colories or sugar there are if you make 5 bars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right that honey is high in sugar. I do like that I have the option of my local honey versus regular sugar in a lot of my recipes. But with all of the questions about using different sweeteners, I have been thinking about testing the recipe with date paste. I am thinking of trying this weekend and will post about the finished product! Hopefully it works out well and is an alternative you may like :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Did you ever try different sweeteners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, I am glad you asked! First, I am embarrassed to say that I haven't :/ Ever since I started my teaching job a little over a month ago, I have been super busy and too tired to really get into experiment mode. But, I am getting more rest and have a full weekend starting tomorrow night - so, after school I am running to Whole Foods or Earth Fare to pick up some dates, figs, and a few other "ideas" to try in these bars! I will hopefully have great results to report about Monday or Tuesday! Have a great weekend and look out for a new Homemade Quest Bars post!!

      Delete