Friday, July 19, 2013

Mustard Seed Café

I just love when lunch time comes around during the workday!  I can get really bored and welcome any and as many breaks as I can possibly get ;)  Sometimes I get tired of the same places for lunch and was reminded last week of the Mustard Seed Cafe - we used to go there often when my sister went to school out towards the Mustard Seed.

The Mustard Seed Market and Cafe is Ohio's largest locally-owned retailer of natural and organic products.  The Mustard Seed is also family-owned.  They have strict ingredient standards - no artificial colors or flavors, no harmful chemical preservatives, no saccharin or aspartame, no irradiated foods, only meats raised without the use of growth hormones and never fed animal by-products.  The Mustard Seed also holds events and classes to educate their customers on health, food, new products and more!  Now that the Mustard Seed is back on my radar, I am hoping to become more of a regular.

Anyway, I went to the Mustard Seed Cafe twice in a week for lunch - with some coworkers one day and with my mom - also a coworker - the other day.  The menu was different than I remember - but the last time I was there was my two birthdays ago.  Both times I went, we called in our food ahead of time because they do take their time in the kitchen.  The menu has a lot of great options and is so informative!  The cafe labels each food with the dietary needs/restrictions they fulfill - the options include: gluten-free, raw, vegan, nut-free, soy-free, dairy-free and oil-free.  The restaurant is very accommodating and will try their best to give you exactly what you want.

The first day, I shared my meal with one of my coworkers.  We shared the Hummus du Jour, Avocado Salad and Classic Cretan Flatbread.  My other coworker also ordered the Classic Cretan Flatbread with mozzarella and feta and ordered the Spinach and Artichoke Dip.

Hummus du Jour - vegan and soy-free
Hummus with Greek olives, farmers market vegetables, quinoa tabbouleh and whole wheat pita

Avocado Salad - raw, gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, soy-free and dairy-free
Cucumbers, jicama, tomato, avocado, (organic) red leaf, fresh raspberries with agave lime dressing

Classic Cretan Flatbread - vegan and nut-free
 Spiced gyro gardein, fresh tomato, baby arugula, tzatziki sauce (on the side), red onion, daiya mozzarella and tofu feta 

Spinach and Artichoke Dip - nut-free and soy-free
Roasted garlic, asiago cream, truffle scented panko bread crumbs and crustinis

I liked everything!  The Hummus du Jour was good - we didn't realize there was going to be Greek olives in the hummus, so that was a surprise.  I don't think I would order the Hummus du Jour on Greek olive day again, though - it was a little over-powering.  I loved the salad - the combination of the avocado with the raspberries was so refreshing.  The flatbread was my favorite dish - everything tasted perfect together, I would like to add red pepper flakes or something spicy to it.  I also tried some of the spinach and artichoke dip and it was fantastic!  I can definitely tell the difference between the Mustard Seed cafe spin dip and all the chain restaurants spin dip - so much more flavorful and guilt-free :)

When I went back with my mom, I ordered the same flatbread - I cannot get away from it now :)  And I also ordered the Tomato Bisque - I love any tomato soup!  The tomato bisque is made with cashew cream and fresh basil.  It is gluten-free, vegan, soy-free and dairy-free.  The soup was so creamy and the basil gave it that nice fresh taste.  My mom ordered the Salmon Wrap - grilled black pearl salmon, avocado, cucumber, jicama, tomato and baby spinach with agave lime in a whole wheat tortilla.  The salmon wrap is nut-free, soy-free and dairy-free.  I did sample the wrap and it was delicious!  I would never think to add jicama to a wrap and I loved it.  I need to buy jicama to add to my Luna burgers!

I am so happy to have such a healthy lunch option close to work - except for the fact it may make me broke!  I cannot wait to go there again soon, because I can also knock out most of my grocery shopping during my lunch hour, too!  I love being able to use my time wisely - especially not having to grocery shop on my time ;)

Well, it's time to get ready for the my crazy weekend - 8AM barre class, mani-pedis and dinner for my sister's birthday, baking and cooking, tea party and catching up with some girlfriends!  

I hope you all have a great weekend!  



No comments:

Post a Comment