Thursday, July 4, 2013

WIMBW and WIAW!


It's that time again :) Happy WIMBW and WIAW!!  And Wednesday was also my last day of work for the week!   For those of you wondering what WIMBW stands for, it's: "What's In My Bowl Wednesday" - I have been taking one recipe, each week from Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal and Other Treats, Tips & Tricks, and I will be doing this for a total of 75 weeks.  I have enjoyed every recipe I have tried so far and I can't wait to try more!

Today I chose Black Forest Baked Oatmeal from Jenny Grothe's book.  I chose this recipe because I had some cherries left from baking Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Bars and I did not want them to go bad.  I made some modifications to this recipe to fit with my style of eating and save some time in the morning - I had to leave the house by 6:40AM on Wednesdays :/  So, I actually made a form of overnight oats that I baked when I woke up.

Jessica's Black Forest Almond Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients

Oven-proof bowl
1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze - any flavor
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp quinoa
1/2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp raw and organic rice protein powder
1/2 tbsp cacao powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
8 cherries, spitted and sliced
drizzle local organic honey
1/2 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp low-sugar Greek Yogurt
sprinkle of cinnamon 

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/2 tbsp quinoa and 1/2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut to oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1/2 cup oatmeal 

Step 4: Add 1 cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze and mix - I chose unsweetened chocolate today :)

Step 5: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap to store overnight in the refrigerator - you can completely skip this step if you would like.

Step 6: Take bowl out of fridge and uncover.  Add 1 tbsp protein powder, 1/2 tbsp cacao powder, sprinkle of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp baking powder and mix.

Step 7: Add 8 pitted and chopped cherries and mix

Step 8: Add drizzle of honey and mix

Step 9: Top with 1/2 tbsp almond butter and 3 tbsp low-sugar Greek yogurt - I did not have any eggs, but instead of the Greek yogurt I would've had 2 egg whites

Step 10: Finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon and bake for 30 minutes

My Black Forest Almond Oatmeal Bake kind of looked funny when I took it out of the oven, but looks can be deceiving - this oatmeal back smelled amazing and tasted incredible.  These cherries added the perfect amount of tartness and sweetness to the oatmeal.  I really enjoyed the chocolatey flavor with the cherries.  My mom was able to try this oatmeal bake because I could not finish it!  It ended up being so filling - I think I left a fourth of the bowl!  The next time I have cherries, I will make a large amount in my stone 8x8 pan to share with the family.  I would definitely recommend adding cherries to your oatmeal - they are so delicious!  I even ate a few by themselves!

For the rest of WIAW (What I Ate Wednesday), I stopped at Burger Fresh for lunch - I didn't have lunch until 2:00PM (shows how filling My Black Forest Almond Oatmeal Bake was)!  I ordered the California Burger - black bean burger with guacamole, red pepper salsa, and greens.  I also added jalapeños - I like my veggie burgers to have a kick!  Delicious and I ate in the metro parks - I needed a break from the office ;)

I made a quick dinner of breakfast after my barre class.  I had 1 slice of turkey bacon and an omelet: 1 egg + 1 egg white, a few strips of honey goat cheese, red pepper flakes and I crumbled some turkey bacon to add to the omelet.  It was a perfect post-workout dinner.

I am so happy I am not working the next two days and I am really looking forward to this Fourth of July weekend.  Sadly, this will be my last post until Sunday.  I am planning on enjoying my Fourth of July weekend with my family and I cannot wait to share all of the fun things I will be taking part in over the next four days. 

Have a safe and awesome Fourth of July! 















No comments:

Post a Comment