Wednesday, July 10, 2013

WIMBW and WIAW!

It's that time of the week again - WIMBW and WIAW :)  I just love experimenting with different oatmeal combinations.  Today, I chose Jenny Grothe's Mock Almond Joy Oatmeal from her book 75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal and Other Treats, Tips & Tricks.  I was stuck on a few different oatmeal recipes.  I was using three different fingers to hold all the pages and when I turned to almost the last page I found the Mock Almond Joy Oatmeal recipe.  I am loving unsweetened coconut lately and I love almonds and chocolate!  The funny thing is, I have never liked Almond Joy - the coconut is too sickeningly sweet :/  But anyway, I was pumped to make this oatmeal recipe and of course I made some modifications to fit my natural and organic style of eating.

Jessica's Healthy Mock Almond Joy Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Almond Breeze or milk of choice
1/2 tbsp organic coconut oil
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp ground flax
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp quinoa
1 tbsp Garden of Life RAW chocolate protein powder or protein powder of choice
1/2 tbsp cacao nibs
1/2 tbsp cacao powder
1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp almond butter
dash of cinnamon

Step 1: Pre-heat the oven to 350

Step 2: Add the 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp ground flax, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds and 1/2 tbsp quinoa to oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1/2 cup oatmeal 

Step 4: Add 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Almond Breeze and 1/2 tbsp organic coconut oil and mix

Step 5: Add 1 tbsp RAW protein powder, 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs, 1/2 tbsp cacao powder, 1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut and 1/4 tsp baking powder and mix

Step 6: Add 1/2 tbsp almond butter and dash of cinnamon and mix.

Step 7: Place in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.

My Healthy Mock Almond Joy Baked Oatmeal was good - but, silly me, I forgot my organic local honey, so it really didn't have any sweetness at all.  I am not a huge fan of really sweet, but this needed a touch.  I will make this again with the honey next time, because I am sure it will make it taste perfect!!  And before I recommend this recipe I want to try it once more with the honey.

For the rest of WIAW, I had lunch at Burger Fresh with my mom and ordered the usual - Cali Veg minus the chipotle mayo and with the addition of jalapeños.  The best black bean burger I've ever had!

My afternoon snack was Whole Foods 365 Greek Yogurt mixed with 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut, 1/2 tbsp ground flax, and 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs, topped with blueberries, strawberries and cherries.  The perfect pick-me-up for a long work day :)

For dinner I had the pleasure of trying the new Quest Protein Bar - White Chocolate Raspberry.  

Now, you know I just love Quest Bars - not only do they fill me up, but they are low in sugar, all-natural, full of fiber and taste absolutely amazing!!!  I have never loved a protein bar this much and will not eat any other.  Anyway, this bar is my new favorite and I usually do not like white chocolate.  The only thing I can compare it to is an even better version of the Strawberry Cheesecake bar - and that bar is pretty good!  The White Chocolate Raspberry Quest Bar is like eating dessert, but a healthy one :)  I almost wish I wasn't cleansing tomorrow - so I could eat another one for dinner ;)

Well, that's all for tonight.  I have to get some Zumba in before I go to sleep - I am not planning on working out tomorrow because I am doing a one day juice cleanse.  I bought the juice cleanse from a local company, Garden of Flavor.  The cleanse consists of six juices and is all-natural and organic.  I can eat fruits throughout the day, if needed.  I think I can handle it, but I do love food!  

Have a good night!  I can't wait to share my cleanse with you tomorrow :)

Have you ever done a cleanse?  For how long?  Did you buy one or make your own juices?



No comments:

Post a Comment