Wednesday, July 17, 2013

WIMBW and WIAW :)

Hey everyone!  It's that time of the week again, WIMBW!  It's the day where I chose a new oatmeal recipe - that I've never tried before - from Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal.  I have been doing this for the past eight weeks or so.

For those of you who don't know, I eat oatmeal for breakfast every single morning that I am home.  The oatmeal I make is always the same - 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze, 1 banana, 1/2 tbs chia seeds, 1/2 tbs hemp seeds, 1/2 tbs ground flax seeds, 1/2 tbs quinoa, 1/2 tbs unsweetened coconut, 1 tbs raw organic rice protein powder, 1/2 tbs cacao powder, sprinkle cinnamon, and a drizzle of local organic honey - super delicious!  But, I figured I should put my Aunt's Christmas gift to good use and try a new oatmeal recipe each week for the next 75 weeks :)  So that is how "What's In My Bowl Wednesday" got started - and I am really enjoying it.

I am crazy about the recipe I chose today - I used Grothe's 6-Grain Blueberry Baked Oatmeal as a guideline.  I went to Trader Joe's on Sunday to purchase a few items after church.  I thought I was out of oatmeal and ended up grabbing a multigrain hot cereal, which isn't what I usually have, but it looked very good.  And what a surprise, this mixed grain oatmeal was perfect for this weeks oatmeal bake :)  **I do modify her recipes to fit my eating style

Jessica's 4-Grain Blueberry-Banana Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats
1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze
1/2 tbs chia seeds
1/2 tbs hemp seeds
1/2 tbs ground flax seeds
1/2 tbs quinoa
1/2 tbs unsweetened coconut
1 tbs raw organic rice protein powder
1/2 tbs cacao powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
sprinkle of cinnamon
drizzle of local organic honey
1 banana
10-15 blueberries
5 tbs high protein, low-sugar Greek yogurt
1/2 tbs all-natural peanut butter

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 1/2 cup oats to oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze to oats

Step 4: Add 1/2 tbs chia seeds, 1/2 tbs hemp seeds, 1/2 tbs ground flax seeds, 1/2 tbs quinoa and 1/2 tbs unsweetened coconut to oats

Step 5: Add 1 tbs raw organic rice protein powder, 1/2 tbs cacao powder, 1/4 tsp baking powder and sprinkle of cinnamon to oats and mix

Step 6: Add drizzle of local organic honey

Step 7: Add 10-15 blueberries and 1 sliced banana to oats mixture

Step 8: Add 5 tbs Greek yogurt

Step 9: Add 1/2 tbs all-natural peanut butter and mix

Step 10: Bake oatmeal mixture for 30 minutes
I enjoyed my oatmeal with a cold glass of unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze

I really loved this oatmeal bake.  I like having my banana combined with another fruit in my oatmeal.  It was like eating a moist banana-blueberry bread.  I must have been super hungry this morning, because I ate the entire bowl.  And it must have been super tasty, because I wanted more!  I will definitely be making this recipe again sometime soon and hopefully experiment with different combinations of bananas with berries.

To continue with what I ate today, I will now follow up with WIAW (What I Ate Wednesday)!

Lunch: I stopped at Zoup for a side of split pea soup and a multigrain roll.

Dinner: I actually had time to cook my own dinner and it was healthy and delicious!  
Luna Burger in BBQ, vegan cheese, a semi-fried egg with olive oil and a piece of toasted Ezekiel bread

I wanted more than cheese with my veggie burger and I thought, "Why not a fried egg?"  I have never had a fried egg before - haha   And let me tell you, it was delicious!!  The egg and cheese were perfect with the BBQ Luna Burger.  I am making these healthy fried egg burgers for my family this weekend - my dad can't wait ;)

I finished the day with a protein shake made in my Vitamix.  I blended 1 cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze with 1 frozen banana, 2 large frozen strawberries, a sprkinle of cinnamon, a drizzle of honey, and 1 scoop of chocolate raw organic rice protein powder - yum!  My mom loved it, too.
Of course it was enjoyed in a Disney glass - only the happiest place on Earth :)


I ate pretty good today and now I am ready for a workout while I watch the ESPYs.  I am thinking some ballet or Zumba workout on the computer.

Have a great night :)

What did you eat today?

Have you tried any of these baked oatmeal recipes?



No comments:

Post a Comment