Wednesday, July 24, 2013

WIMBW

It's WIMBW!  I love celebrating getting through the first half of the week with a delicious baked oatmeal recipe.  Today was amazingly filling and full of so much goodness - which I needed because I basically had a 13-hour work day: cheer practice 7-8:30AM, work 9-4:30PM and cheer camp 5-8:30PM.  Today's baked oatmeal really gave my the energy I needed to kick-start the day and was able to hold me until I finally had lunch at 2:00PM!  It was a crazy day!

Anyway, today I chose to tweak the Juicy Berry Baked Oatmeal recipe from Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal.  The recipe called for a few items I wouldn't use: Raspberry Torani Syrup, granulated sugar and brown sugar.  I also added a few ingredients that I normally put into my oatmeal: chia seeds, ground flax seeds, unsweetened coconut, hemp seeds, quinoa, honey, peanut butter and a banana.  

Jessica's Juicy Berry PB&B Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
1/2 tbsp quinoa
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tbsp Garden of Life RAW Protein in chocolate
1/4 tsp baking powder
sprinkle of cinnamon
drizzle of honey
4 large strawberries - cut into chunks
10 blueberries
1 banana
2 egg whites
1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350

Step 2: Put 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut and 1/2 tbsp quinoa in an oven-proof bowl

 Step 3: Add 1/2 cup oats to bowl

Step 4: Add 1 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Plus 5X to oats

Step 5: Add 1 tbsp Garden of Life RAW Protein, 1/4 tsp baking powder and sprinkle of cinnamon to oats

Step 6: Add a drizzle of honey to oats and mix

Step 7: Add strawberry chunks and blueberries to oats

Step 8: Add sliced banana to oatmeal and mix

Step 9: Add two egg whites to oats and mix

Step 10: Top with 1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Step 11: Bake oatmeal mixture for 30 minutes

I had a nice, cold glass of So Delicious Unsweetened Almond Plus 5X that went along perfectly with My Juicy Berry PB&B Baked Oatmeal.  I really enjoyed all the different flavors included in this oatmeal.  The berries gave a fresh, summer flavor with a bit of tartness and the honey and banana gave the oatmeal a subtly sweet addition.  The egg whites provided an extra boost of protein, which greatly contributed to my staying full for most of the morning and afternoon.  I will definitely make this oatmeal again and will experiment with raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, elderberries and whatever other berries I discover at the local farmers markets.

I unfortunately didn't have a whole bunch of time to eat today...so for lunch I had some high-protein Greek yogurt with more blueberries and strawberries and some Jessica's All-Natural Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Granola.  Delicious!!

And for dinner I had my second favorite Quest Protein Bar: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - I ate that on the car ride from work to cheer camp.

Well, I am exhausted and still need to get a workout in - I am thinking either a booty ballet routine or some Zumba or maybe both!

Have a great night!!

What other berry combinations can I try in my oatmeal?


No comments:

Post a Comment