Thursday, August 1, 2013

Better-For-You Mason Jar Cake

Hey all!  So over the past weekend I made mason jar cakes as one of my Christmas in July gifts I gave to my girlfriends.  I mentioned that I made it guilt-free because I would not feel right giving a jar full of oil and sugar.  I decided to make some healthier substitutions, as well as add some tasty and healthy treats.  I did taste test some of the raw cake mix and my friend, Alisia, really enjoyed the "deliciousness in that jar" :)  I also mentioned that I would provide my made-up recipe - hope you enjoy!

Jessica's Better-For-You Mason Jar Cake

Ingredients

1 box sugar-free chocolate cake mix or flavor of choice
1 cup water
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 egg whites
3 tbsp unsweetened coconut
sprinkle or more of cinnamon
3 tbsp cacao nibs
3 dark chocolate squares
3 16-oz mason jars

Step 1: Preheat oven to 325

Step 2: Wash and dry mason jars

Step 3: In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and 4 egg whites.

Step 4: While mixing, add 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut - I eyeballed it

Step 5: Continue mixing and add a sprinkle or more of cinnamon

Step 6: Add 3 tbsp cacao nibs - again, I eyeballed it :) and once the mix is thoroughly combined, distribute evenly among the 3 mason jars

Step 7: Bake in oven for 15- 20 minutes, then turn the temperature up to 345-350 for another 15 minutes.  I used a shish-kabob skewer to check throughout the process

Step 8: Top each mason jar cake with a Dove dark chocolate square and let cool on the oven - so the glass temperature doesn't change too fast and crack.  

My friend, Alisia, loved her cake!  She asked me, "What is the deliciousness in that jar?"  :) My dad loved it, too!  I am just glad the jars didn't crack!  I would like to make these again with mixes and/or ingredients for cake from Whole Foods - to make it more healthy :)

I want to make more treats in a jar and even some healthy lunches :) I am thinking treats for school, using babyfood jars - if anyone has a baby and would like to make donations, I am accepting them now ;) I can also make many different kinds of gifts with mason jars - food and themed gifts mainly...I can't wait to test and share my ideas.  And I will be recycling in the process!   

Well, have a great weekend!  I am excited for my sports-filled weekend and cannot wait to share all about it! 







No comments:

Post a Comment