Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Happy WIMBW and WIAW!

Happy WIMBW and WIAW!  I hope everyone is excited as I am to finally be over the hump of this week.  I am just so close to this extra long weekend - I can almost taste it!  And I love celebrating the middle of the week with 'What's In My Bowl Wednesday' - I am just loving these new baked oatmeal creations and how delicious they end up being.  And I conveniently had some leftover canned pumpkin in the fridge for this weeks recipe :)  I am so happy to have some pumpkin in my life and fall is almost here!!

To celebrate WIMBW and the fact that I had some canned pumpkin in the fridge, I decided to chose  Creamy Chocolate Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal from Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal.  This oatmeal sounded perfect - I absolutely love chocolate and pumpkin is my all-time favorite flavor in the entire world!  Picking this oatmeal recipe was the easiest choice I made all week ;)  I almost followed the entire recipe to a T, but I did have to make a few substitutions to fit my eating habits.  And if you try this recipe, please feel free to make your own substitutions.

Jessica's Chocolate Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp flaxseeds 
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup oats
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup pumpkin
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp protein powder
drizzle organic local honey

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp flaxseeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds, and 12 tbsp unsweetened coconut to an oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1/2 cup of oats to bowl

Step 4: Add 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk - today I chose So Delicious Dairy Free Almond Plus Unsweetened

Step 5: A 1/4 cup pumpkin

Step 6: Add 3 tbsp Greek yogurt - I prefer Whole Foods brand 365 Plain Greek Yogurt

Step 7: Add 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp ground cloves

Step 8: Add 1/2 tbsp cacao powder and 1 tbsp protein powder - I prefer Garden of Life RAW Protein in chocolate

Step 9: Add drizzle of honey - today I chose local honey from Jorgensen's Apiary in Goldenrod - the goldenrod flower gives the honey a butterscotch flavor!

Step 10: Mix and bake in oven for 30 minutes

The aroma coming from the oven was so hard to ignore!  My mouth was watering like crazy before the timer even went off.  Luckily, I spent the half hour getting ready for work to keep my distracted from the heavenly pumpkin creation in my oven.  Anyway, I love my Chocolate Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal!  The pumpkin taste was perfect and reminded me of Starbucks pumpkin bread - but, way healthier!  And, I actually enjoyed the taste of this baked oatmeal more than the pumpkin bread!  Halfway through I added a 1/2 tbsp of my all-natural homemade peanut butter - I do love my peanut butter!  The peanut butter just added another delicious flavor and successfully fulfilled my peanut butter craving :) This Chocolate Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal was extremely filling and I cannot wait to try Jenny Grothe's other pumpkin oatmeal recipes!

Mid-Morning Snack

I brought some organic grapes to work to help tide me over until lunch

Lunch

Lunch was spent at Burntwood Tavern with my mom.  I love the decor and rustic feel of Burntwood.



 We both enjoyed a bowl of the black bean soup - I was surprised to see tortilla strips and I picked most of them off.  The soup was very flavorful and contained a little spice - I loved it!

We also shared two appetizers - Hummus with cucumber, pita and plantains and Blackened Shrimp Tacos with napa slaw, queso fresco, sriracha aioli and avocado salsa.  
I really like the hummus with the plantains - the combination is perfect!  And the blackened shrimp tacos are bursting with flavor and I topped my taco off with a squeeze of lime and some of the guacamole - so delicious!

Mid-Afternoon Snack

Whole Foods 365 Greek Yogurt topped with organic strawberries, organic raspberries, organic blueberries and Jessica's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Granola

Dinner

 Since my afternoon snack was so filling, I decided to have a smaller dinner after my barre workout.  I toasted an Ezekiel 7 Sprouted Grains English Muffin while frying an organic cage-free egg in organic virgin coconut oil.
 Then, I spread some creamed honey I purchased from Jorgensen's Apiary on one half of the toasted English muffin before adding the fried egg.
I made this purchase after sampling some of the creamed honey at the apiary.  I decided on the Berry Blast flavor of the Creamed Honey - freeze dried blueberry, strawberry and raspberry.  This stuff is like sweet, creamy heaven on a biscuit - so delicious and unlike anything I've ever had before.  I will have to go back before I run out ;)

I had such a successful WIMBW and WIAW.  I loved everything I ate today and good food helps contribute to a good day - even though the day was pretty long and slow.  I also purchased a new pair of crazy yoga capris, that I will be sharing later this week - I am in love with them!! 

Well, I hope everyone has had a fantastic week so far and it continues to be that way :) I've had a super busy week and it seems it will just get busier - but, at least there's a long weekend in the near future!











No comments:

Post a Comment