Saturday, August 24, 2013

What's In My Whole Foods Bag?

Hi everyone!  I am excited about today's special post - a Whole Foods edition of "What's In My Bag?" I made a special weekday trip to Whole Foods on Wednesday in participation of 25% off all supplements.  I just had to make this trip because their are many super-foods in the supplement department that I have been wanting to try, but I haven't been willing to spend the money - some supplements are a little bit pricey.  So, I had to skip my bi-weekly weekend trip to Whole Foods/EarthFare and it was killing me to wait....I was running low on my essentials ;)  Now, I will not make you wait any longer to see what's in my Whole Foods bags!

I love all my goodies...it's like Christmas!

I had a $1.00 off two SoDelicious products...I picked two Unsweetened Almond Plus 5X.  I just love the extra protein! - my mom bought to Unsweetened Almond Breeze at Giant Eagle (even though I told her I would pick up almond milk...we had 5 cartons in our fridge for a bit!)

This is one of my go-to snacks for the workday and I love freezing about a third of these for a sweet, frozen treat :)

These mini bananas are the creamiest fruits - I love adding these to protein shakes or smoothies for some extra creaminess and thickness 

Goji Gourmet Goji Berry Cookies in Goji Cherry Cacao - I love having something for my chocolate needs at work and these soft, chewy chocolate cherry clouds are the perfect fix!

Xanthan Gum - It took me forever to find this, because I had no idea what container this would come in!  I am making No-Sugar Added Pumpkin Pie Bars tonight and this was one of the listed ingredients - recipe to come later :)

Medjool Dates - I also needed this for my pumpkin treats and decided to use the bulk bins, since I only need 5 dates for the recipe and saved a lot of money this way! 

365 Greek Yogurt - my favorite Greek yogurt - oh, how I've missed you!

Organic Strawberries and Organic Raspberries - to add to my beloved 365 Greek Yogurt

Tofu - I also need this for my pumpkin yummies and I had a $1.00 off of two Nasoya products - winner!

Organic Cage-Free Eggs - I only had one left and he was getting a little lonely.  I made a tasty treat with one of these and a special local find I made this weekend and cannot wait to share that with you on Monday :)

And the reason for my trip:
Flaxseed (for my oatmeal) - contains Omega-3 essential fatty acids - "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects; Lignans - plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities; and fiber - both soluble and insoluble types.
Hemp Hearts (for my oatmeal) - Omega-3 essential fatty acids; GLA (an Omega-6 fatty acid) - important to hair, skin and bone health, and also regulates metabolism and the reproductive system; iron and vitamin E.  Hemp is also one of the densest sources of plant protein.
Maca Powder (I have never tried this before, but I have been wanting to buy this for some time after reading about all the benefits) - vitamins B1, B2, B, C, D, E, iron, potassium, copper, magnesium, selenium, phosphorous and calcium.  It also contains fiber and about 10% plant protein.  Maca root is also a source of fatty acids and contain four unique alkaloids (Mecaina 1, 2, 3 and 4).  One thing that really stuck out to me about this superfood is that it helps you cope with stress - I have had a lot on my plate lately and any natural stress aid is welcome in my kitchen!
Lucuma Powder (my sister's boyfriend loves Peruvian Lucuma ice cream and when I discovered lucuma was a superfood I just had to grab this off the shelf!) - low-sugar sweetener that also provides 14 essential trace minerals.  Lucuma is a good source of antioxidants, dietary fiber, healthy carbohydrates, vitamins including beta-carotene, niacin and minerals including zinc, potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron. 

I can say that this was a successful Whole Foods trip with all of the items I bought and all my super-foods I kept my bill under $90 - which can be hard to do there with how many items I had in my Whole Foods bags :)  I am really excited about my two new superfood powders and cannot wait to reap all of the health benefits!  I am also pumped to make this lucuma ice cream :)  He just raves about it so much!  I am also ready to go make my No-Sugar Added Pumpkin Pie Bars - I hope they are amazing because I just love pumpkin-flavored anything sooooo much!!  One of the reasons why I enjoy fall ;)  

Well, I hope your weekend is lovely and continues to be - I cannot wait to share my weekend with you on Monday night....I took Friday off, so it was extra nice :)  

Now, I need to get this little guy some treats - he hasn't left my side this entire post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment