Wednesday, August 7, 2013

WIMBW - Something Different!

Happy WIMBW!  I am very excited to share what's in my "bowl" today - it is different from what we are use to :)  I also had a great WIAW - I had a lot of FREE goodies - my favorite four-letter word!  But first, to begin my day I chose Jenny Grothe's Nutty Oatmeal Breakfast Bars on page 108 of her book 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal.  I wanted to try something different than usual and I actually picked out a recipe to use the rest of my steel cut oats...but, I did not have a few key ingredients and I couldn't decide on substitutions.  I did still modify the Nutty Oatmeal Breakfast Bars - but I had the key ingredients I needed.

Jessica's Nutty Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

Ingredients

2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup all-natural peanut butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4-1/3 cup local organic wildflower honey

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 2 cups old-fashioned oats to a medium-sized mixing bowl

Step 3: Mash two ripe bananas in a separate bowl, then add them to the mixing bowl

Step 4: Add 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut 

Step 5: Add 1/4 cup all-natural peanut butter 

Step 6: Add 1 tsp cinnamon 

Step 7: Add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 

Step 8: Add 1/3 cup local organic wildflower honey 

Step 9: Add two scoops RAW Protein - Beyond Organic Protein Formula in chocolate

Step 10: Mix the ingredients together and spread in a 9"x9" pan - either lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray - and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.

The aroma coming from the oven was so mouth-watering.  And the bars came out beautiful!  The recipe made nine bars altogether.


I enjoyed a bar right out of the oven with an ice-cold glass of Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Breeze.  

The bar was delicious!  I could even taste a hint of pumpkin - my favorite flavor and why I love fall :)  I also love having the addition of the chocolate protein powder, bananas and peanut butter!  Oh and the coconut is a perfect touch.  I really enjoyed these bars and will definitely be making these again and maybe I will add blueberries or raspberries next time.  I also like the fact that I get nine meals out of these bars and will be freezing them so I can have a grab-and-go option for busy mornings/days!

I also enjoyed some Unsweetened Almond Breeze as a morning snack after cheer.  I just discovered individual-sized Almond Breeze and now keep a few in my desk!  
I just love the convenience of these little hand-held cartons of deliciousness and when I want some Unsweetened Almond Breeze I pop one in the fridge for a half hour :)

For lunch, my mom and I ran to the Mustard Seed Market to nosh on some samples set up around the store.  One of the employees made up a salad using power greens, a pre-made trail mix, and a locally made buttermilk ranch dressing.  The salad was so delicious that we bought everything needed to make the salad, except I chose the Avocado Vinaigrette from the same company because it had less sugar and fat!  We also had samples of hummus, tea, chocolate pound cake, peach turnover, and cheeses.  I love that everything is natural and/or organic!  I also bought a spicy falafel wrap and some groceries. 

It was also Free Ice Cream Truck Wednesday at work ;)  One of the companies we work with sent an ice cream truck to us from 2-4PM and it was paid for!  I had a bite of a chocolate ice cream sandwich.  And my mom got an ice cream sundae with hot fudge, peanuts and whipped cream - it was also delicious!

For dinner, I fried an egg in 1/2 a tbsp of coconut oil and placed that on top of toasted Ezekiel bread with GO Veggie! Lactose Free Mozzarella Cheese Alternative Slices and red pepper flakes.  MMM!  I had to make something quick because after my Booty Barre workout I felt really gross and needed to get to my friends pool!  Now I am happy to just be relaxing :)

Have a great night!






No comments:

Post a Comment