Wednesday, September 4, 2013

WIMBW + WIAW = A day of delicious healthy eats!

Happy WIMBW-WIAW!!  I am so happy it's Wednesday - not just because of WIMBW, but because the week is more than halfway over :)  But, I am super-pumped to share my WIMBW oatmeal recipe with you all.  I made this oatmeal recipe differently than my previous oatmeals and I used one of my favorite flavors: pumpkin!!  I am so happy that Jenny Grothe put a number of oatmeal recipes that require pumpkin in her book: 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal.  It's nice to see other peoples appreciation for such a fantastic flavor!  I chose to make Pumpkin and Nut Stovetop Oatmeal on page 169.  I used everything in Jenny's recipe, except for the 1/2 cup water - I just used an extra 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk - I also added a few ingredients :)  And without further ado, here is my recipe...

Jessica's Pumpkin and Nut Stovetop Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp flaxseeds 
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or liquid of choice
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 scoop protein powder of choice
**optional additions: 1 banana, 
    1/2 tbsp all-natural peanut butter,
    1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, etc.

Step 1: Add 1/2 cup oats to small saucepan

Step 2: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds and 1/2 tbsp flaxseeds

Step 3: Add 1 cup unsweetened almond milk - I used Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla

Step 4: Add 1/3 cup pumpkin puree

Step 5: Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon - I really like cinnamon, but if you want a more subtle cinnamon flavor add 1/4 tsp 

Step 6: Add 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Step 7: Add 1/2 tbsp honey - I love my organic local honey :)

Step 8: Add 1 tbsp chopped walnuts

Step 9: Add 1 scoop protein powder - I always use Garden of Life RAW Protein in chocolate

Step 10: Stir over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed or until desired level of thickness is achieved - I prefer really thick oatmeal

My Pumpkin and Nut Stovetop Oatmeal was incredible!  I added a mashed banana to my oatmeal during the final minute of stirring.  After I transferred my oatmeal to a ceramic bowl, I added 1/2 tbsp of all-natural peanut butter to my oatmeal - I just love peanut butter!  The oatmeal was very filling and held me for most of the morning - the extra fiber of the pumpkin combined with the scoop of protein powder really did the job.  The pumpkin flavor was wonderful and tasted like the perfect slice of warm pumpkin pie - I wanted to add some whipped cream :)  The walnuts added a nice crunch to this creamy delight!  It is becoming really hard to pick my favorite oatmeal recipe - but, this one might take the prize for now!  I love that this recipe had pumpkin as a main ingredient and that it was almost 30 minutes quicker to make than my oatmeal bakes.  I will definitely be making this recipe again soon - a bigger batch of my family on a crisp fall day.

WIMBW

Lunch - Burger Fresh
Cali Veg (no bun) - black bean burger with mixed greens, fresh guacamole, red pepper salsa

Dinner
 Toasted Ezekiel English muffin topped with GoVeggie mozzarella slice, sweet potato and white bean burger and an organic cage-free egg fried over-hard in coconut oil

Dessert
Churned Ice Cream Shop Vegan Coconut Brownie Ice Cream in a mini bowl - just need a taste!

I love WIMBW-WIAW!  I seem to always eat delicious foods on Wednesday - perfect for sharing!  I hope everyone else had an awesome WIAW and hopefully some or all of you are trying some of my WIMBW recipes.  If you ever try any of these recipes or use one for some guidelines, please let me know what you think!! 











No comments:

Post a Comment