Wednesday, September 11, 2013

WIMBW + WIAW! Happy Hump Day!

Happy WIMBW!  I am excited to share today's oatmeal recipe with you - I had a little bit of pumpkin left from the past two recipes and I know it wouldn't last much longer, so one more pumpkin one :)

I actually woke up today with my workout on my mind and I completely forgot today was even Wednesday!  I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen and there was Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal, then I remembered that it's one of my favorite days of the week.  So, I skipped my workout because I remembered that Wednesday is also barre night and I would be dead at barre if I worked out this morning - so everything worked itself out ;)  Anyway, I found Jenny's Maple Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal on page 134.  I do not like the flavor of maple, but I do have a delicious substitute.  And, like always, I did make substitutions and additions to the recipe.  I also had to cook my oatmeal on the stove because my mom and I were heading into work earlier that usual this morning, so no time for baking.

Jessica's Honey Pumpkin Stovetop Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 scoop Garden of Life RAW Protein - chocolate
a generous drizzle of organic local honey
2.5 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup pumpkin
**Additions: walnuts, all-natural peanut butter,
    banana, chocolate chips, crumbled graham
    crackers, etc.

Step 1: Set a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat

Step 2: Add 1/2 cup oatmeal to saucepan

Step 3: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp flax seeds and 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds

Step 4: Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp baking powder

Step 5: Add 1 scoop protein and a generous drizzle of honey

Step 6: Add 2.5 tbsp Greek yogurt

Step 7: Add 1/3 cup pumpkin

Step 8: Add 1 cup almond milk 

Step 9: Stir until the oatmeal is thick and creamy (or consistency of choice) and make any additions of choice
**I added a mashed banana and 1/2 tbsp peanut butter

This is my favorite pumpkin oatmeal I've ever made - and there are still two other pumpkin oatmeal recipes I need to try :)  I prefer the smaller amount of cinnamon in this oatmeal to the larger amount in last weeks oatmeal.  I could make out the other flavors in my oatmeal bowl a lot easier.  The cinnamon was a nice, light touch and complimented the amazing pumpkin flavor perfectly.  The combination of the fiber from the pumpkin and banana with the protein from the Greek yogurt, peanut butter and scoop of Protein kept me full all morning.  I did not have a single snack before lunch :)  My Honey Pumpkin Stovetop Oatmeal really did the trick today :)  I will be making this for the family over Thanksgiving holiday.

Lunch (11:30AM)

A free 8oz bowl of Split Pea soup from Zoup! with a side of multigrain bread
**Zoup! has a promotional coupon on their Facebook page right now - become a fan and click to redeem your coupon for a free side of soup (somewhere towards the top of their page) and redeem it before Sunday, September 15th :)  Free, healthy food is the best food!

Afternoon Snack (2:30PM)

Another serving of Fantasy Candies Chocolate Chia Cinnamon Bar - I just can't get enough!

Early Dinner (4:00PM)

 I had another NuGo Slim Bar
 I knew that if I didn't have some protein and carbs before Barre, I would not make it through

Dinner (after Barre/7:30PM-ish)

 First, pick your hot dog ($5) and your toppings ($0)
Then, pick your side, sauces and/or toppings - and if you would like some Happy Dog apparel, feel free to do so.

I chose the Field Roast Vegetarian - Vegan Sausage topped with Jamaican Jerk Mustard Mojo and Garbanzo Bean Vegetarian Chili - I did not eat the bun

Also, (after the workout I had) shared a plate of tater tots with CT and chose quite a few sauces to sample: Jamaican Jerk Mustard Mojo, House Made Ketchup, Chipotle Ketchup, Roasted Garlic Aioli and Brazilian Chimichurri - every sauce was delicious, but that Jamaican Jerk Mustard Mojo and the Brazilian Chimichurri are my top two!  I can't wait to bring my parents there :)

So, I am pretty happy with my food and workout choices today.  I barely snacked at all today and kept my snacks and meals very healthy.  I enjoyed an intense barre workout and Shannon surprised me by landing earlier and showing up to class!!  I did have a small indulgence of tater tots - but, I kept it to a reasonable limit and probably burned it right off as I was eating the tots ;)

I hope everyone had a fabulous WIAW and maybe some of you enjoyed a wonderful WIMBW, as well :)  

**I will not be posting tomorrow - I will be out of town until late, but will be sure to update you all sometime Friday.  I can tell you that I will be working out tomorrow morning and already know that I will be having a gluten-free dinner :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment