Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WIMBW & WIAW!

Hi!  I would like to begin by apologizing for not posting last night - I had a visit from a girlfriend I haven't seen in a while and then I watched my DVR'd Sleepy Hollow.  I would've posted while watching Sleepy Hollow, but it is one of those shows you really have to pay close attention to in order to understand the sequence of events.  I enjoyed the show and was actually a little freaked out after it ended (I was the only person in the house still awake), so I went to bed ;)  I love being scared, but hate it at the same time!

But, I am here for WIMBW!  This baked oatmeal recipe is a little different from the typical recipes I gravitate towards - no chocolate and no pumpkin :)  I haven't gone grocery shopping in awhile, so I decided to chose something with ingredients I normally have on hand.  I always have bananas, so when I flipped through Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal, I knew what to keep an eye out for. I was happy when I flipped to page 76 and read Baked Banana Oatmeal In Rum - I remembered seeing rum extract in the cupboard earlier this week when I was baking s'more muffins - so I thought I would give it a go.  I eliminated two of the ingredients and switched another one out - I like to use recipes as guidelines that can be changed to fit my dietary choices - I highly recommend baking and cooking this way (most of the time)!

Jessica's Baked Banana Rum Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp rum extract
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze
drizzle honey
1 sliced banana
2 egg whites
1 tbsp protein powder
1/2 tbsp all-natural peanut butter

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 1/2 cup oats to oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/2 tbsp flax seeds and 1/4 tsp baking powder

 Step 4: Add 1/4 tsp rum extract

Step 5: Add 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze

Step 6: Add drizzle of honey

Step 7: Add 1 sliced banana

Step 8: Add 2 egg whites

Step 9: Add 1 tbsp protein powder and mix

Step 10: Bake for 30 minutes.  Spread 1/2 tbsp peanut butter over top after removing baked oatmeal from oven.

I really love this my Baked Banana Rum Oatmeal!  This oatmeal has a nice, light flavor - not too rich and nothing over-powered the other ingredients.  I really enjoyed the rum flavoring - it was not what I was expecting.  I would definitely make this oatmeal again - especially because I always have bananas and peanut butter around the house :)

Mid-Morning Snack
 A humungous pear - so crispy!

Lunch - Qdoba
Naked Burrito - black beans, pico de gallo, roasted chile corn, salsa verde and guacamole.  I normally don't eat a places like this, but it was my mom's treat :)

 Afternoon Snack
 Fuji apple - my favorite apples!

Dinner
Ezekiel bread with creamed honey and topped with a slice of GoVeggie mozzarella, turkey bacon, and an egg white fried in organic virgin coconut oil

 Vegan Coconut Brownie Ice Cream - I had this much left of it!

Well, I am proud of the healthy choices I made today :) I incorporated a lot of fruits and veggies into my meals throughout the day.  I  also enjoyed everything I ate!   And I did my usually morning routine while my oatmeal baked.  Oh!  I also spent the evening outside at Acacia Reservation at Full Moon Over The City to watch the full moon with my mom.  The event was given by the Cleveland Metroparks.







We had fun trying to take pictures and learning about the moon! 





No comments:

Post a Comment