Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WIMBW!

Happy Wednesday :)  I had a great WIMBW!  My recipe was so delicious and filling - I couldn't even finish my baked oatmeal!  I had a hard time picking a recipe out because I haven't been to Whole Foods or Earth Fare in awhile - the last few weeks have been super crazy.  But, as I was flipping through Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal, I remembered that I had strawberries from when I made my Mixed Berry Muffins (recipe to be posted tomorrow) and I started looking for a recipe with strawberries.   When I turned to page 79, I found Tart Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal and I thought to myself "I better take this recipe and run with it" - that's the only type of running I will do :)  I did make s big substitution and once you read my recipe you will be able to figure out what is missing ;)

Tart Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup oats
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
4 medium strawberries
1 banana, sliced
1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds, and 1/2 tbsp flax seeds to oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1/2 cup oats

Step 4: Add 1 cup milk

Step 5: Add 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp vanilla

Step 6: Add two egg whites and combine

Step 7: Add four medium strawberries

Step 8: Add banana slices

Step 9: Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  The eggs were still runny after baking, so I stuck my baked oatmeal in the microwave to a minute and a half.


I added 1/2 tbsp of all-natureal peanut butter to my Tart Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal.  I just love peanut butter and it was the perfect final touch!  This baked oatmeal was thick and creamy - I think I will stick my baked oatmeal in the microwave for about one minute every time now.  The Tart Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal was the perfect combination of tart and sweet.  The strawberries had that tart taste, but the sweetness of the bananas helped tame that tartness.  This oatmeal was very filling and I couldn't finish the last fourth - even though I wanted to!  My mom finished the rest and loved it.  I really need to start doubling my batches :)  And even though this oatmeal was very filling, it still had that nice, light taste that I enjoy so much!  This recipe definitely goes into the make again column!

WIAW - Snack Edition

Mid-Morning Snack 

Afternoon Snack
Individual bag of Skinny Pop


**Lunch and dinner you have seen on a pretty consistent basis: Lunch - Burger Fresh California Burger (vegetarian) sans bun.  Dinner - Toasted slice of Ezekiel Bread topped with GoVeggie Mozzarella Slice and an organic cage-free egg fried in extra virgin coconut oil - I need to make sure to change it up on Wednesdays, so I can provide some awesome food pics :)

Well, I have an important and busy day ahead of me!  I am excited and prepared for what lies ahead!   I will hopefully share some awesome news with you either Thursday or Friday.  Prayers appreciated :)  

And watch for my Mixed Berry Muffin recipe tomorrow evening!! 












No comments:

Post a Comment