Sunday, October 6, 2013

My First Sunday Night Food Prep

I hope everyone had an amazing weekend!  I know I don't normally post on Sunday nights, but I haven't posted since Wednesday evening.   I have been trying to adjust to my super busy schedule!  On Thursday I started my first day of teaching and I had to coach JV at a football game right after and Friday was the exact same thing, except it was the homecoming game and it went into overtime - two super busy days!  Saturday I got a lot of my teaching stuff together and went to a seafood party - I ate some stuff that did not make me feel too good :(  And I actually didn't take very many pictures this weekend.  I am definitely not used to this schedule.  And my aunt and uncle came up for Friday's homecoming game and brought Pirates Smiley cookies from Eat'n Park Pittsburgh.
I didn't eat one, but had to take a picture to commemorate the Pirates win earlier that day!

I spent most of the day lesson planning for the week - we write our plans in advance - yippee.  But, I did finally make a Whole Foods (**they take manufacturers coupons + their coupons = twice the savings!) trip for the first time in weeks!  My family and I went to Bahama Breeze for lunch after church/Financial Peace University.  I ordered a cup of Cuban Black Bean Soup and the Caesar Salad with the dressing on the side to negate last night.
The black bean soup was amazing and had a drizzle of cilantro-crema.  And I did not eat the croutons :)

My sister and mom shared some appetizers and had a nibble of each.
Sweet Peruvian Corn Cakes with roasted pineapple salsa and Mojo-Marinated Pulled Pork served over sweet plantains - both extremely appetizing!

Tostones with Chicken - twice fried (savory) plantains topped with chicken, sweet peppers, mushrooms, melted cheese and tomato salsa.  I love the crispiness of the plantains with the melted cheese and salsa.

After Bahama Breeze, we stopped at Whole Foods to pick up some essentials - I am trying to save money, so I only bought things that I really need.  I have also decided to start a weekly food prep to help save time with my busy schedule.  Since I used a lot of time lesson planning for my first full week of school, I only prepped two things and I will be prepping some more tomorrow night.  (I will also be sharing 'What's In My Whole Foods Bag' tomorrow)

Tonight, I prepped a large chicken breast and a huge pan of millet.  

Millet is a grain that is tiny in size and round in shape.  It can be white, yellow, red or gray and is usually hulled, but the cracked version in traditional couscous can also be found.  One cup of cooked millet has 23.5% Daily Value of manganese, 21.8% DV of tryptophan, 19.1% DV of magnesium, and 17.4% DV of phosphorus.  The magnesium in millet can help reduce the severity of asthma, reduce the frequency of migraines, can help lower high blood pressure, and reduce the risk of heart attack.  The phosphorus in millet plays a role in the structure of every cell in the body - it helps in forming the mineral matrix of bone and is an essential component of the adenosine triphosphate, the molecule that is the energy currency of the body.    The magnesium can also lower type 2 diabetes risk.  The fiber in millet aids in the prevention of gallstones and protect against breast cancer.  Anyway, pretty healthy stuff and cheap, too.  I was looking for quinoa, but the bulk container was completely empty and I ended up spotting the millet and decided to give it a try!


I cooked 1 3/4 cups millet with 3 cups water in a small saucepan - first, I cooked the millet in the saucepan by itself for five minutes over medium-heat.  I added three cups of water and brought the millet to a boil.  After the millet boiled on high for about 7-8 minutes, I brought the millet to medium heat for about 10-12 minutes.
Wow!  I ended up with a lot of millet - it almost tripled in size!  This will last my sister and I the entire week and maybe more :)  A very economical choice!

While I was waiting for the millet to finish up, I began preparing my chicken breast.


Step 1: Preheat oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper

Step 2: Mix 1 tsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp minced onion, 1/4 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp oregano


 Step 3: Rub half of the olive oil and spice mixture on one side of the chicken breast and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on the size.
Once the time goes off, flip the chicken breast (please use an oven mitt and spatula) and rub the remaining mixture on the other side of the chicken breast and bake for another 10 minutes.

Beautiful!  

I tried a bite of the chicken - juicy and flavorful!  I cannot wait to mix this chicken with the cooked millet.  

I am also going to try a few different spices with the millet and probably some different fruits or vegetables.  I am so excited to experiment this week :) 

I would say with my time constraints, my first food prep went pretty well.  And now, I have to get some rest for tomorrow - I have a field trip, a workout, and some more lesson planning and food prepping.  And I will hopefully hear about another Buccos win!  Today's win was awesome to watch!!



No comments:

Post a Comment