Wednesday, October 2, 2013

WIMBW AND WILD CARD!

Happy WIMBW!  I still look forward to my Wednesday oatmeal recipe :)  I had a hard time picking out a recipe because I slept in by an hour and a half this morning - I didn't get home until after 3:00AM!  I had the best time yesterday evening at the Pirates vs Reds Wild Card game and I cheered, jumped and taunted all night and at the end of it I raised my Jolly Roger!  More about the game later :)

So, I picked a quick recipe from Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal - Baked Pecan Pie Oatmeal on page 163.  I chose this recipe because it did not seem very complicating - no slicing or chopping any fruits and all of my ingredients were within an arms reach.  Now, I did eliminate some ingredients - one was butter extract and I just do not like butter!  I do like pecan pie and never eat it anymore, so I knew I would probably enjoy this recipe.  Oh yeah, there is one big change I had to make to this recipe - my dad ran to the grocery store last week and I asked him to pick me up some organic oats.  He brought me back a box of non-GMO verified steel cut oats - awesome, but I probably won't be baking with them.  The next few oatmeal recipes will be this way until I run to Whole Foods for some bulk oatmeal.

Jessica's Baked Pecan Pie Oatmeal 

Ingredients

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp protein powder - I used Garden of Life RAW Protein
1/2 tbsp raw organic coconut crystals
drizzle honey
pecan pieces

Step 1:  Over medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup steel cut oats to a small saucepan

Step 2: Add 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 tbsp flax seeds, and 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds

Step 3: Add 1 cup milk

Step 4: Add 1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1 tbsp protein powder and 1/2 tbsp raw organic coconut crystals

Step 5: Add drizzle honey and stir until the desired consistency is reached - I prefer my oatmeal to be thick and creamy

Step 6: Transfer to heat-proof bowl and top with pecan pieces

MMM!! I really enjoyed my pecan pie - I mean Baked Pecan Pie Oatmeal.  Delicious!  This oatmeal recipe would be perfect for a crisp, fall morning.  The nutmeg and cinnamon add a nice spice to this light oatmeal.  And the crunch of the pecans was a perfect touch.  I will make this around Thanksgiving for sure :)

I also had a nice going away celebration lunch at work from Aladdin's Eatery - my choice thanks to the compliance manager :)  I ordered 3 types of rolled pita: chicken shawarma, turkey, and hummus garden, chicken salad, hummus platter with hot sauce, and a baklava tray.  Everything was delicious!!!
I had some salad, a hummus garden and a chicken wrap, some hummus with hot sauce and one baklava 

Now, about yesterday - I spent most of the day in Pittsburgh and all night at PNC Park to watch my Buccos take the Wild Card game and raise the Jolly Roger!!  We also met the giant rubber ducky :)




Well, last night was awesome!  Now, let's go Tribe!!  I hope to wake up to a win - it's going to be an early night...I start school tomorrow!! Yay, first grade!  Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment