Thursday, October 10, 2013

WIMBW - Better Later Than Never :)

Hi!  Happy WIMBW - I am a little late, but yesterday was such a toughie.  But, today is much better - with lots of prayer and removal of the problem - my day turned out a lot better!  And I had a nice celebration dinner at Barroco Grill before an awesome boards workout :)
A veggie arepa - green peppers, onions, mushrooms, corn, roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomato and mozzarella with chimichurri sauce and a side of black bean soup

Now, on to the most important part of this post: the WIMBW oatmeal recipe!  I picked yesterday's recipe thinking (like always) I had a certain ingredient in the refrigerator - of course, I didn't!  So, I made a big substitution for the Spiked Rum and Pear Quick Oats found in Jenny Grothe's 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal on page 173.  I had to substitute apples - we have tons of those because it is fall...in OHIO!  Btw, fall in Ohio is awesome!  Anyway, I subbed that and eliminated the walnuts - plus, I added a few things :)  And, with my crazy-early schedule, I prepped the night before!

Spiked Rum and Apple Steel Cut Oats

Ingredients

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 chia seeds
1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
1 cup milk
1 tsp imitation rum
drizzle honey
1 mashed banana
1/2 apple, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 1/2 tbsp protein powder
sprinkle cinnamon

Step 1: Place saucepan on medium-high heat

Step 2: Add 1/2 cup steel cut oats

Step 3: Add 1/2 tbsp flax seeds, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, and 1/2 tbsp hemp seeds

Step 4: Add 1 cup milk - I used So Delicious Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk

Step 5: Add 1 tsp imitation rum

Step 6: Add drizzle honey 

SKIP STEP 7 IF EATING RIGHT AWAY AND COMPLETE STEPS 8 and 9 ON THE STOVE  AND REMOVE FROM STOVE TO OVEN PROOF BOWL FOR STEPS 10 and 11!!!

Step 7: Mix over medium-high heat until most of the milk is soaked up by the oats and pour into oven-proof bowl and store in fridge  
**Remove from fridge, if you overnighted it, and continue with step 8

Step 8: Add mashed banana

Step 9: Peel and cut apple into chunks, add to oatmeal, mix and microwave

Step 10: Add 1 1/2 tbsp protein powder

Step 11: Add sprinkle cinnamon and mix

Step 12: I added 1/2 tbsp peanut butter to my steel cut oats for extra protein and flavor - add what you please :)

I love this oatmeal - reminded me of the beginning of fall!  I love the addition of warm apples to my oatmeal - a slightly crunchy and a very cozy flavor.  This oatmeal will be a comfort food over the winter months - and, might I add, a guilt-free comfort food!  I would love to try the pear version, though and cannot wait to do so!  I will have to make this recipe again - I guess I will be adding another week to my 75 weeks :)  I am sure you won't mind!  I will also be excited to try this oatmeal as a bake!

WIAW

Lunch - School

Semi-frozen grapes and a tiny crabapple


Leftover Press Wine Bar Smoked Chicken Flat Bread with ranchero sauce, smoked chicken breast, cilantro sprigs, creme friache, white cheddar, corn and black beans 

 Whole Foods dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt

Dinner - Aladdin's Eatery

Hot cinnamon apple tea

Foole M Damas - puree of fava beans, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and lemon topped with diced tomatoes and parsley with pita

Fatayer - spinach and feta cheese pie, topped with crumbled feta and scallions

Falafel - mildly spiced vegetarian patties made with diced chickpeas, fava beans, parsley and scallions.  Fried in peanut oil and served with tahini yogurt sauce.

I absolutely love Aladdin's and having a free gift card definitely made my night better - except, I was so full that I fell asleep when I got home!  But, I do love that Aladdin's is healthier and very flavorful.  I really enjoy all of the cinnamon and the other spices used in their dishes. 

Well, now you know how WIMBW and WIAW went and that it was very successful - even with my crazy day!  Have a great weekend - I will be lesson planning most of the night after barre tomorrow.  I will be sure to post Sunday or Monday evening :)

















No comments:

Post a Comment