Monday, November 18, 2013

WIMBW - What's In My Bowl Weekend!

Happy What's In My Bowl Weekend!  If you're confused, I switched What's In My Bowl Wednesdays to What's In My Bowl Weekend because my teaching job has been making it hard to keep up with weekday posts - it's also hard getting up at 5:45AM and there is no way I am getting up any earlier to try and make an in-depth oatmeal recipe before a grueling day of teaching/managing behaviors.

So, welcome to my first edition of What's In My Bowl Weekend - lucky for my I can use the same letters :) WIMBW!  I decided I wanted to make dessert for breakfast and chose Jenny Grothe's S'mores' Baked Oatmeal on page 171 of 75 Ways To Love Your Oatmeal.  I knew I had mini marshmallows and some cacao nibs - plus with winter nearly here - because it's Cleveland - I decided I need a hearty hot cocoa-y breakfast to help me through the next 6 months of winter ;)

Creamy S'mores Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/2 cup oats
1 tbsp pea-based protein powder in chocolate
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp cacao nibs
1/4 tsp baking powder
drizzle honey
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 banana, sliced - optional
8-10 mini marshmallows
**optional toppings: 1 sheet crumbled graham cracker, granola, granola chips, peanut butter

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350

Step 2: Add 1/2 cup oats to an oven-proof bowl

Step 3: Add 1 tbsp protein powder and 1 tbsp cocoa powder

Step 4: Add 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs

Step 5: Add 1/4 tsp baking powder

Step 6: Add drizzle honey

Step 7: Add 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and mix until combined

Step 8: Add banana slices

Step 9: Add 8-10 mini marshmallows

Step 10: Bake for 30 minutes

Step 11: Top with toppings of choice - I spread 1/2 tbsp of my homemade peanut butter and top with crumbled vanilla granola chips

 I love s'mores so much, but I never really eat them anymore because of all the sugar and I can never eat a s'more without making a complete mess of myself!  I loved this oatmeal - so delicious and creamy and chocolatey!  I will be making this a lot over Christmas break and when I hopefully have (a lot) of snow days ;)  I really enjoyed the richness the extra 1/2 tbsp of cocoa powder and the 1/2 tbsp of cacao nibs provided.  The marshmallows made this oatmeal look so cute and also added a nice touch.  I really enjoyed this oatmeal and I might try to use so crushed up graham crackers or cinnamon granola as a crust next time!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my first edition of WIMBW - What's In My Bowl WEEKEND!  Have a great week and watch out for my post of what I've been up to the past (extended) weekend - I had a really good Wednesday and Thursday evening that I just have to include.  Make sure to expect a lot of pictures!












2 comments:

  1. sounds tasty, I'll be stealing this as it's begun to cool off in DC as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I don't like my super sweet, so if you do, add some sort of sweetener: granulated sugar, brown sugar, truvia, Splenda, raw coconut crystals and maybe organic milk or dark chocolate! Let me know what you think! Hope all is well :)

      Delete